Friday, June 21, 2013

Holy Hell

Holy Hell!
What are you doing here!
No I don't want you to leave,
not after you've come all this way.
Come in, come in.

Sorry,
I don't really know how to make coffee.
Don't drink it myself.
Sit down.
You've come too far to not stay a while.
Here, you look cold.
My mom knit it.
It's decaf, you'll sleep fine.

I have to ask,
why are you here?
I mean, this is a few hundred miles from your home.
You have to have a reason, right?

He did what?
No I don't think your crazy.
If you needed to get away,
then I'm glad you came here.
Space helps you think,
trust me, I know.

Did I ever tell you about my trip?
The one I took last year?
It came on the end of some hard times.
I was away from it all for a while,
met some new people,
saw some new places.
Thought some new thoughts.
Distance helps.

Hey, remember summer, a few years ago?
Those were some fun times.
Breakin' some rules,
trying not to get in trouble.
That one couple took issue with us,
when we were by the lake,
on their beach property.
But we got away before they caught us.

Yeah, I remember that December.
When you moved away.
It was the right thing, I think.
At least at that time.
I know that's where you met him,
but you met a lot of other friends.
You had a good job,
got to put your degree to work.

I still have those letters you wrote.
Glad to know you got mine.
Yeah, I should have written more as well.
We got busy.
It happens.
I don't think it means we drifted apart.

You still go to church?
Ha, yeah.
I know how hard it is to find one.
At least one you like.
Has to feel like home, right?
If you're sticking around for a few days,
you can come back with me.
I'm sure everyone will want to see you.

My bed is upstairs,
that's where you'll sleep.
I'll take the couch.
No, I won't hear your protests.
You need some real sleep.

I mean it, I'm glad you're here.
I'll show you around tomorrow,
though there isn't much here.
Good night, I'll see you when you wake.

No comments:

Post a Comment